The Australian Government is funding a $200 million Local Roads Package as part of the Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan. Funding has now been allocated to Penrith City Council to improve road safety and traffic flow efficiency at key intersections along The Northern Road.
The project is now progressing to final design. Council is inviting community feedback on the concept design and Review of Environmental Factors for the project.
Key features of the proposed upgrade
Derby Street and The Northern Road intersection
- New designated left and right turn lanes on both Derby Street approaches.
- Adjustments to kerb lines and footpaths
- Removal of some on-street parking on Derby Street to facilitate these additional turning lanes
- Relocation of bus stops to facilitate turning lanes
The Great Western Highway and The Northern Road intersection
- 50m extension of the right turn lane northbound on The Northern Road
- 100m extension of the right turn lane westbound on the Great Western Highway
- Widening of the right turn lane and realignment of median island, southbound on The Northern Road
- New pedestrian fencing in the median island of The Great Western Highway.
The upgrades will significantly improve road safety and traffic efficiency.
What are the next steps?
- Council is currently inviting community feedback
- Detailed Design starting early 2017
- Construction starting late 2017
The community will be kept informed as the project progresses.
During construction, there will be additional temporary loss of parking that will occur on The Northern Road and Great Western Highway. Two lanes in either direction on The Northern Road and Great Western Highway will be in operation at peak times.
To view the proposed upgrades go to the Document Library (top right of this page) to view the concept drawings and project overview.
Also available in hard copy at the Penrith City Library.
Further information regarding the Australian Government’s Local Roads Package can be found
on the RMS website http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/projects/sydney-west/local-roadspackage/
How can you give feedback?
We encourage you to send us your comments by Friday 27th January 2017
C/- Design and Projects, The Northern Road and Derby Street Upgrade
Penrith City Council
PO Box 60
Penrith NSW 2751
We will carefully consider your feedback and continue to keep you updated as the proposal
Having issues or have a question? Please contact the Have Your Say team on 02 4732 7458 or