The designs for the upgrade to Emu Heights Dog Park have been finalised and construction began in February 2022. We want to thank everyone who provided feedback about this project during the consultation process.
Council is committed to providing safe and usable spaces at our local off-leash dog parks. Emu Heights dog park, located on Wedmore Road in Emu Heights, is undergoing an upgrade to the existing park to better cater for residents and local dogs.
The dog park upgrade includes the installation of a new fenced enclosure for large and small dogs. This upgrade will:
- Provide separation between large and small dogs
- Improve the opportunity for dogs to exercise and socialise without anxiety
- Increase seating and shade for dog owners
What is possible in the upgrade within the available budget?
- Provision of additional seats with back and armrests
- Planting new trees for shade and amenity
- Installation of a new bin and tap
- Bins and dog waste bag fixtures
- Additional water
- Dog play equipment
What is the benefits of this upgrade?
- The new fencing will include an “air lock” style entry to assist with ease of access into the space.
- Planting new trees will improve shade opportunities, provide cooling and beautification of the reserve. Trees will be planted in both the large and small dog park enclosures to provide good shade opportunities for hot afternoons.
- Additional seating with backs and armrests will be provided to the large and small dog enclosures to provide a space for owners to sit and observe their dog(s).
What is not possible in the upgrade?
- Toilets and BBQ facilities
How are the works being funded?
The works are funded by the Australian Government through the Local Roads and Community Infrastructure Program. The program supports local councils to deliver priority local road and community infrastructure projects across Australia, supporting jobs and the resilience of local economies to help communities bounce back from the COVID-19 pandemic.
Can I access to the dog park during the upgrade?
During construction the dog park will be closed with fencing around the site and unavailable for use. Construction time is approximately 8-10 weeks. For the location of other dog off leash areas please click here